E1M1: Head Cheese
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Legend[edit | edit source]
Key points in the map will be marked in italics and key locations for secrets which count towards 100% will be marked in bold.
Essential Knowledge.[edit | edit source]
There are NO KEYS in the map, the map has a simple point a to point b system however there is an additional route and areas to explore. You can hug the walls to the left as you spawn and go up the stairs to the door. You will enter another slaughter area, proceed straight to the right, a narrow passage will take you to a dead end, but there is a hole in the wall in which you can turn right. Also note- you can also jump on top of rubble on the path to the right to access the same area a different way. Up the stairs you will enter a kitchen area- go straight through the door, turn left and then turn left after the corner. And head straight through the split path. The path on the right is the fastest way to the exit. The exit itself requires you to slide under- or shoot the tree.
- The dev time is 1:00
- The best speedrunning time on accessible and any % is 10.96 seconds.
Other Places of Interest[edit | edit source]
- If you destroy the barrels in the first area, you can pick up one pistol bullet and a small medkit.
- After encountering the first Mage- if you turn left and go behind the shack with the narrow passage, there are 2 pistol magazines and a small healthkit.
- If you turn right and go behind the fence where you encounter the two mages, a pistol is available there.
- Once you reach the kitchen, there is an ammo box behind the counter and up the stairs to the left is a shotgun.
Secrets[edit | edit source]
- In the starting area, the gas canister will open a crack in a wall to the far left- containing a secret area passage which has a single shotgun , if you press the switch and open the hatch you will be in an area south of the house you would originally emerge from.
- In the same area before the ladder- there are misaligned textures, interacting with the wall will reveal a Haste powerup.
- Behind the two barrels and sawblades there is an alcove containing a pistol.
- Behind the stack of boxes is a fake wall containing a secret with a Super Shotgun, beware the rats.
- Behind the shack, a small breakable vent containing a 50 morale pickup is there behind the health and pistol ammo.
- On the passage to the left facing the shack, there are doors, breaking one of them will activate a secret.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The name of the level can be interpreted as the game creator's username online- 'jefequeso'. Literally meaning 'Head Cheese' or 'Boss Cheese'.
- 'Head Cheese' was the original name of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
- 'Head Cheese' is a nickname for smegma.
- Elements of E1M1 and E1M7 are used from the original tech demo.